Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Mermaid: Water : : Jillian: Books

A few weeks ago, we checked out a bunch of new books from the library.  And, it just so happens that the library we've gone to for so many years is also home to the 2012 recipient of Texas Librarian of the Year.

Ofilia has been a godsend over the years, as Jillian has always had a love for learning and an intense love of reading.  Having a librarian that can immediately address the needs of a child like this is a gift.  Jillian would often walk into the library and Ofilia and Dia (another FANTASTIC librarian) would ask what she wanted to learn about that day.  There were horses, the weather, rocks, birds, LOTS of things...however, Jillian's "Dinosaur Phase" lasted for over a year and a half.  I think we checked out close to every dino book...

But anyway, Ofilia has always done a great job gauging what might be a good selection for Jillian.  And it has gotten more difficult the last couple of years because Jillian's ability far exceeds what would be appropriate for her age.  

This last trip to the library, we checked out a few selections that Ofilia and Debbie worked together to select...their suggestions were a big hit, as evidenced below.  

The reason I'm putting dates on these books is simply so that I can look back (and so that Jillian can look back, too!) to know that she's always loved reading...so much so, that she breezes through books ranging from 200-300 pages.  Just effortlessly.  I've blogged about it before, on our family page (in fact, my constant amazement of Jillian's reading seems to be one of few things I actually sit down to document/write about.  I don't know why I'm still blown away by it - I mean, I guess I really shouldn't be surprised anymore, but I am.  I've NEVER been able to get through a couple pages of anything without nodding off...doesn't matter how much I enjoy it.  It's just weird.  And Jillian just doesn't stop.  I'm over the moon about it.  Even envious - but more in a way where I'm ecstatic about the fact that she is essentially opening up limitless possibilities in so many ways.  The true joy she has for reading is unreal.  

So here we go...

Jillian finished this book around Friday, January 3rd:


She loved it.  She talked about it and made me want to read it.  I started to read it.  Really enjoyed the first chapter and got a little into the second chapter...at which point, Jillian had asked me how much I had read.  I told her I finished the 1st chapter and was a little into the second.  Her response?  "Ummmm, Mommy?  The chapters aren't very long."  Ouch.  It wasn't that I didn't want to read it, or that I didn't find it super fun...I seriously start to fall asleep when I read.  Weird.  But anyway, this post isn't about me...

A day or two later, Jillian moved on to The Tail of Emily Windsnap.  School started back up on Tuesday.  She finished Emily Windsnap, as well as Philippa Fisher's Fairy Godsister by Saturday, January 12th:


At this point, I thought I'd see if our local library was set up for us to download books.  It is.  So I downloaded the next 3 books in the Emily Windsnap series...Jillian started the 2nd book in the series,
Emily Windsnap and the Monster from the Deep, on the way to school Monday morning, January 14th.

That night, the Nook said she was 79.8% done.  She finished it the next afternoon on the way home from school, and without my knowing, started reading the 3rd book in the series, Emily Windsnap and the Castle in the Mist.


Now it is Wednesday night.  She finished Castle in the Mist tonight and started the 4th book in the series, Emily Windsnap and the Siren's Secret, but shortly thereafter, it was "lights out" and "go to bed." :)


So if the pattern continues, I'm guessing she finishes Book 4 at least by the end of Friday.  Though really, NO RUSH.  Book 5 isn't released until a month from now (GASP!)!!!  I think that after reading these four substantial books over the last 11 days, I would welcome a little break, simply to digest everything.  But I'm betting we'll be making another trip to the library, or at the very least, downloading some new, fun reads...

Suffice it to say, though, this Emily Windsnap series is GOOD.  Not that I would know...but surely, a 7 year old that can't put the books down would be a good indicator, right?  Annnyway, stay tuned for more "can't-put-it-down" book suggestions for your young one! :))  I'm guessing that for us, it will be the next book in the Phillipa Fisher series ;)

One, last thing:  BIG shout out to author, Liz Kessler!!!!  Thank you for sharing your imagination and your love of a good story with my sweet girl.  You've addressed quite an insatiable appetite for reading, and in doing so, you've also given my daughter a different kind of pride - one in which she feels she has accomplished something "bigger" than other books and series have.  I'm sure there was a sense of pride in having finished other books and other series as well, but I sincerely appreciate the fact that your books have been able to keep Jillian engaged, while also quietly reassuring her that no book is too big!  Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly