Monday, January 28, 2013

Dinnertime as a Family: Maybe not so hard to swallow...


Confession:  we have a hard time eating dinner as a family.  Pretty much because our kids (7 yo and almost 4 yo) have a terribly difficult time focusing on eating.  Instead, there are random moments of getting up from the table, being silly, complaining about whatever was made (this warrants an entirely separate post, addressing the fact that I have little incentive to cook the awesome meals I used to - and that I'd like to cook), etc.  Pretty much the usual, that most other families deal with (or at least, that's what I tell myself, so let's just go along with that assumption, k?).

So after dealing with these same type of things throughout the day, the last thing I want to do is eat my dinner while reffing or trying to keep kiddos focused.  As a result, my husband and I usually eat later, and at least one of us stays with them at dinner to keep them company, talk with them, keep them focused, break up the fights, and whatever else...

BUT, when I saw this idea from No Time for Flash Cards, inspired by the upcoming holiday of alllll things love, I thought, "Hey!  This could actually make dinner pleasant!!!"  What do y'all think?  Any other conversation questions that might be good to include that aren't shared in this post?

conversation hearts dinner time activity for families

What other types of things do y'all do to make dinner bearable, and - dare I say it - enjoyable???

Bring it on!

And, because I'm assuming I'm not the only one faced with this dilemma, I'm creating a new board on the Silly Jillybeans Pinterest page titled, "Dinnertime Techniques."

So if you've blogged about your technique or have found some helpful posts somewhere, please share in the comments section and I'll add it to the board with a link to your blog and/or tag you via a comment!!!  Let's get dinnertime more doable!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly