Tuesday, January 29, 2013

2nd Grade Resolutions = Mommy Resolutions?

Judging from the numbers written and crossed out at the top of the page pictured, as well as the writing style (or lack thereof), it seems the goal for this assignment was to write 10 resolutions.

As I read all of these, I was so proud of the things my sweet girl wants to aim for this year.


But then...I got to the last one:

"This year I am not going to bother my mom when she is doing crafts."

Ouch.

  1. I'd just like to say that Jillian is not my child that tends to "bother" me when I'm doing crafts.  
  2. In my defense, I really and truly aim to just do "crafts" on my own time, either when the kids are at school, or after they've gone to bed.  Or when they're hanging out with my husband, as he is truly an amazing husband that understands my need to do stuff in my craft room.  It keeps me sane.  But moving on...
  3. I used quotes around "crafts" because it's actually rare that I do what I would consider "crafts."  I think what Jillian is actually referencing is "work," as I am lucky enough to stay pretty darn busy with Silly Jillybeans orders.  And again, she's typically not the child in the family that thinks they can wander freely into and out of my craft room, either to tell me something, explore, and/or pick up something...
Still, regardless of my defense, it's clear my daughter has, at one time or another, got the impression that she has bothered me while working.  Apparently enough to warrant a resolution.



OR - maybe...maaaaaaaybe, she knows that it's not something that' really an issue - even a moot point - and so, therefore, it would be a good resolution, and easily achievable!

Or maybe I'm reaching a bit.

In any case, this doesn't do me any favors in terms of the "Mommy Guilt" that is basically a way of life at this point.  It's there.  All the time.  In a variety of ways.  Y'all know what I'm talking about, right?

BUT!  The good news?  This resolution was LAST on a list of (a required?) 10 items.

I don't know about y'all, but in my experience, something that is written last on an assignment like this is often a struggle to have thought of...right?  RIGHT???

Nevertheless, I was called out by my sweet 2nd grader in her resolutions.  But this is good.  It's good that I know all of the goals she is striving for, as I want to make sure I do my best to facilitate and encourage those goals.  It's just that in terms of this one, particular resolution, the work will need to done more on my part:  to talk with her about whether she remember certain instances of when she felt she was "bothering" me; and, to be more cognizant of the time I spend "doing crafts" - both in terms of the amount of time and my choice of timing, as well as the attitude I put forth during those times, in an effort to minimize the possibility of inaccurate perceptions of Jillian being a bother.

So there ya go.  I just realized that what I have written above could have easily been titled:

"How to over-analyze your child's classroom writing assignment, and, subsequently, add to an already abundant amount of 'Mommy Guilt.'"


I'm going to consider this my cleansing of the guilt, move on, and focus on my daughter's awesome writing.  :)  
The End.
(well, the end of this particular instance of the mommy guilt cycle)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly