Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Happy 30th to ME!!!!

Wow. 30. Unlike many (I've heard), I'm actually very excited to have turned 30! I guess maybe I feel like that age "represents" me better than what a number in the twenties did. Or at least, in my opinion. Not because I feel "old," but I guess maybe because I feel like so many other people in their 20s are at a completely different stage in life. Since having Jillian at age 25, I've always been one of the youngest (if not THE youngest) Mommies in my various social circles. And at the same time, many of my friends in their 20s are still enjoying "DINKY" life. Or are pursuing a higher level of education.

And honestly, the number isn't all that important...but I feel like sometimes, people don't take someone (especially a mother?) in her twenties as seriously as they might take a person in their thirties.

Besides, I'm PROUD to have been around this "long," and I cherish every, single day I have here, on this earth, with my amazing husband and 2 sweet kiddos! (Even though sometimes, it's a bit difficult to do so...).

Anyway, moving on to my birthday festivities...

Richard surprised me with a dinner at Blue Mesa Grill! LOVE that place! We arrived (oh, about an hour late...babysitter didn't have our address or phone number...long story!) and our good friends Megan & Jude, Lynette & Anthony, and Richard's friend, Jason and his wife, Lorrie, were there waiting for us!!!!!! It was so sweet to know that Richard had started to plan a big celebration about a month and a half ago! Unfortunately, the combination of various summer vacations, difficulties in getting babysitters, and whatever else - pretty quickly affected the number of people on the Evite that were able to respond "Yes."



Ultimately, though - it was the best celebration EVER. Megan and Jude are always a blast. And Lynette and Anthony are a couple that we've been wanting to get to know better (I've known Lynette since 1st grade, when we met at Lakehill). It truly was the perfect group of people, and it was so fun to see friends from two, totally different times in my life, relate and have fun! Of course, they were both waiting for a good, long while for us to show up, so I guess they had no choice!

Anyway, after chowin' down on some AWESOME sweet potato chips, adobe pie, and more yummies that can only be enjoyed at BMG, the waiter brought out a cake:


Simply AMAZING. Richard was so, incredibly thoughtful to have ordered a cake from the local bakery - Say It With Sugar - as he knew that I'd been eying their creations since their shop opened in recent months. What a beautiful surprise!!!




After a night of chatting and eating, Richard surprised me with a birthday card...that was extra special because it contained a sweet poem he wrote that told me we would be going to the Michael Buble concert the next night!!!!!!! If only we could have taken a picture of my excitement over THAT!!!!!

It was such a fun time, and I am so grateful to my wonderful friends and to my seriously amazing and thoughtful husband! He later said that he doesn't ever want to do a surprise of any kind again; he felt like he was "cheating" on me, as he had to talk to my friend Crystal "behind my back," and just plan stuff without me. :)

On our way out to the car, I realized that we completely neglected to take pictures of us and our friends at dinner! The only pictures we got involved the cake! ARGH! So we did a little post-dinner mini-shoot outside the restaurant:

L: Richard carrying the remainder of the cake back to the car (showing the uneaten side).
R: One of the last pictures of me as a 29 year old...what a WONDERFUL night!

When we got home, I gave in (as if there was a struggle) to temptation and picked up the top tier of the cake (chocolate chocolate chip!) by the dowel that still remained and had at it:



A couple more collages from the evening:





Thank you for all of the thoughtfulness and planning you put into this, Richard! I love you!!!

1 comment:

  1. We totally LOVE Say it With Sugar. They are our favorite bakery and we have again commissioned them to do the 4 tier cake for our daughter's birthday. We only have one... otherwise we totally couldn't afford that (no really... we couldn't). Anyways, I will email you later, just was enjoying stalking your blog a little first to kind of get to know you. :o) Julie

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly